Whether you’re celebrating a birthday or just need that perfect sweet treat, making your own cake is just what you need right now. We have put together a collection of lactose free recipes for 23 cakes. So you can make any cake you want.
Just because we have to avoid the lactose in dairy, doesn’t mean we have to give up our love of cake. Many people suffer from food allergies and there are a variety of recipes that cater to an individual’s specific needs. Enjoy your love of baking once again, minus the lactose.
Table of Contents
Scratch Made Cakes – 100% Lactose Free Recipes
Want to have more control over what goes into your batch? Try these delicious lactose-free cake recipes. Many are dairy-free or use milk alternatives. If you want to use real milk, but without the lactose, you can use the Lactaid brand of real lactose-free milk.
Additionally, some of the dairy-free recipes listed below consider other food allergies. As such, many are also gluten-free (GF) or vegan. However, don’t feel that you have to use GF flour or use egg substitutes. Use the flour of your choice and real eggs, if you like.
Baking for yourself is one of life’s little pleasures. It’s a great way to relax, do something for yourself, and for the ones you love. Anyone can go to the grocery bakery department and pick up a generic cake, but a cake made at home is all the more special. Put on your apron, it’s time to get baking.
Make it from Scratch:
1. Very Vanilla Birthday Cake with Very Vanilla Frosting.
3. New York Style Cheesecake – Always a welcome creamy treat, any time of year.
4. Hummingbird Cake – Is a tasty dessert that incorporates cinnamon, pecans, bananas, and pineapple in a delicious flavor melody. Perfect for upcoming spring celebrations, parties, or any event that needs a little sunshine. They say it is named after hummingbirds because they are said to be drawn to the sweet smell of pineapple, and want their own piece of cake!
5. Lemon Pound Cake – Beloved by nearly everyone with its cheerful lemony sweetness.
6. Coconut Cake – A refreshing treat any time of the year.
7. Carrot Cake – The healthier version of cake, is a beloved classic.
8. Strawberry Cupcakes – Are impossible to resist. Try not to eat too many!
9. Yellow Cake – for any occasion.
10. Chocolate Birthday Cake – It’s your birthday, who says it can’t be chocolate cake?
11. Dairy-Free Sweet Potato Chocolate Cake – Is great for those of you who want a healthier indulgence, try this sweet potato chocolate cake.
12. Angel Food Cake is naturally dairy-free. You don’t have to be an angel to enjoy angel food cake. This cake is wonderful for all your upcoming gatherings and events this spring and summer. It’s always a big hit.
13. German Chocolate Cake – One of those memorable treasures you won’t ever forget. With its rich chocolate-coconut flair, it is sure to make a lasting impression.
14. Pound Cake is quite possibly the best summer treat. Top it off with garden-fresh berries and serve with tea.
Making your own cake is all about being together with loved ones and those you care about. The next time you are having a party or just having some friends over, consider letting them join in on the fun.
Being together in the kitchen is a nice way to bond, visit, share, and build lasting memories. The end product is so rewarding for everyone involved.
The best part of these recipes are people won’t even notice that these cakes are lactose and dairy free, they will just enjoy them.
Box Made Cakes – 100% Lactose Free
Too busy to make it from scratch. Not to worry, we’ve got you covered. Try these great pre-made mixes and pull out a fresh-baked cake in no time at all. Duncan Hines is a popular cake brand that caters to those in need of a little lactose-free love.
All the mixes listed herein are currently dairy-free (DF). If any of the cake instructions call for butter, you can use a vegan butter or real lactose-free butter from Green Valley creamery.
Duncan Hines Dairy-Free Box Mixes:
1. Classic Butter Golden Cake Mix
2. Classic Yellow Cake Mix
3. Dark Chocolate Fudge Brownie Mix
4. Classic Devil’s Food Chocolate Cake Mix
5. Classic White Cake Mix
6. Signature German Chocolate Cake Mix
7. Signature Rainbow Confetti Cake Mix
8. Signature Red Velvet Cake Mix
9. Signature Strawberry Supreme Cake Mix
Ready Made Frosting – 100% Lactose Free
The frosting is just as important as the cake! Make it extra tasty with these convenient pre-made Duncan Hines frostings. You just open the lid and they are ready to spread on your fresh cake. Mix and match frosting.
Just because you have a chocolate cake, doesn’t mean you have to have chocolate frosting! Mix it up. Try strawberry on your chocolate cake. The sky’s the limit when you add these convenient frostings to your lactose-free cake recipes.
Duncan Hines Dairy-Free Frosting:
- Creamy Vanilla Frosting
- Creamy Cream Cheese Frosting
- Creamy Chocolate Frosting
- Creamy Strawberries ‘n Cream Frosting
- Whipped Vanilla Frosting
- Whipped Chocolate Frosting
Scratch Made Frosting – 100% Lactose Free Recipes
If you’re feeling extra ambitious and have the time, why not learn how to make your own frosting. It really is worth the initial time investment. Once you learn the basics you will always have the power to bring a little sweetness to any baking project.
Plus you get to choose the quality of the ingredients. Today there are so many amazing lactose-free and dairy alternative products on the market. Making your own lactose-free icing is easier than you think and your taste buds will thank you.
Frosting – Make it from Scratch:
- Strawberry Frosting
- Vanilla Buttercream Frosting
- Chocolate Buttercream Frosting
- Butterscotch Frosting
- Cream Cheese Frosting
I Love You, So Here a Cake
Make gatherings and events extra special by baking your own cakes and trying out lactose free recipes. A cake made from scratch communicates that it is from the heart and that you were thinking of your loved ones as you made it.
This gesture will mean all the more when they know you took the time to make it from scratch. It is a personal touch that says, “I love you, you mean a lot to me, and I care about you.”
Baking for loved ones or even just yourself holds far more joy than the grocery store bake sale rack. The people at your special event will appreciate fresh ingredients, the detail, and the time you invested.
You can choose to make fresh batches from scratch or you can take a shortcut, courtesy of the convenient Duncan Hines product line. Treat yourself to the very best. Enjoy!
The next time you have something to celebrate or just want a late-night snack, try some of these delicious lactose-free cake recipes. Let us know in the comments which one was your favorite.